Thursday, July 1, 2010

coffee filters, straws & paper cups

sounds like supplies for a nice drink.  Not in our house.  Super hot days are causing me to come up with projects for the kids 'Mac Gyver style'.  I've always wanted to try painting on coffee filters...so the other day, we did.

 I thinned out the paint with water and got out the droppers (thinking it would be easier)


the lizard and ladybug ditched the droppers.  
The spoons let them be more creative (make a bigger mess)



we ended up with several works of art before they got bored (and hot)




after they dried...it came time to decide what to do with them.  We have tons of straws...so I thought 'why not make them look like giant lollipops'?  The kids really liked that idea.  So I glued the straws onto the filters.  I had plenty of cups & I thought they would be the perfect holders for our lollipops - made a hole in the center and...



 added some freebie printables from Oh My Gluestick.  
And suddenly, Mac Gyver style decorations were born!!



These will be proudly displayed at our cook-out on Sunday 
& I will proudly take lots of pictures :)

*--------------------------------------------------------------------------*

check out Serenitiy Now - A Mommy's Solution To Staying Sane for some great (cheap) activities to do with the kids this summer (in addition to 'MacGyver style' decorations)

Head on over to PonyTails and FishScales for a linky party

Check out the Weekend Wrap Up Party (and giveaway) at Tatertots and Jello

One of my fave places... I heart naptime w/Chocolate Sundaes 
is hosting a Sundae Scoop..check it out & be inspired!


8 comments:

Unknown said...

awww they look like they had tons of fun!

hugs! Kim @ http://frostmeblog.blogspot.com
party inspiration

Kelli W said...

So cute! I love the printables on them! And the colors on the coffee filters kind of look like fireworks too!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Those are so cute!! Way to use a kid's craft in a fun and pretty way. :) Thanks so much for linking up with me!!!

Paula@SweetPea said...

Aren't they cute? My niece and I stamped patterns on coffee filters the othe? day and then shaped them into flowers. Isn't it fun to do a project that is just about free?

Anonymous said...

How fun...my kiddoes would love this! Thanks for linking up to It's Party Time Thursday @PonyTails&FishScales!

creativejewishmom/Sara said...

Cute! Great to see a new face on Craft schooling Sunday, hope to see you again! all the best!

johnathonmarcelo said...

It's food safe and affordable paper straws king. So far as the other supplies go, you need to stop by your neighborhood craft shop.

vicotria grayson said...

Browse our collection of paper drinking straws, and you'll locate a reasonable and eco-friendly means to add fun to your party or event! Want to know more about decorative straws? Find more information on this website.

Related Posts with Thumbnails